Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Parents and Publishing

On Thanksgiving of 2012, I decided to self-publish my novel and here was how I announced the news to my parents:

"I self-published my Medusa novel. It's called Medusa's Desire, but you're not allowed to read it."

It was similar to what I said when I created a blog, a twitter, and a facebook.

"Guess what? I have thousands of followers on twitter, but you're not allowed to read anything I tweet."

I made my mother promise that she wouldn't allow my Dad to read my novel. My Mom and I have had honest discussions about sex, so it wasn't as bad if she read it as if my Dad read it. Although I was pretty sure I would die if she did because guaranteed, she would come up to me later and say something humiliating about it. She might even start mentioning a scene over and over again in public places just to embarrass me because she thinks its funny.

Like,"Haha! Remember when Perseus and Medusa fooled around under that table?"

And then I'd die a little inside.

The reason I don't want my parents to read the stuff I write is because I would start censoring myself and not being true to my writing style if I felt they might read the things I wrote.

But still, my Dad is so proud of me that he monitors my book's page on Amazon every day. He checks it more than I do! He always knows when I have a new review. He even looks at my ranking. Sometimes he comes up to me and says,"You just sold a book today, didn't you?" And he's always right about it.

The day I got my first one star review, I was fine. I read it and felt like I could sympathize with the reviewers points. I had prepared for awhile for my first one-star review and it really wasn't that bad.

But then I thought about it for a moment and remembered that my Dad reads all my reviews. He's always bragging when I get a five-star or four-star review to me the next day. So how is he going to handle it when I get a one-star review? I panicked.

I think for many authors when they get their first one-star review, they seek out comfort for themselves. I immediately wanted to find my Dad instead and make him feel better.

"Dad! Dad!" I shouted when I found him.

He looked kind of confused. "What?"

"I got a one-star review. Did you read it?"

"Yes."

"Are you okay?"

"Yes, but only because I read that post on your blog that you wrote about how you were okay with receiving one star reviews. You're right. Without one star reviews, the reviews on Amazon aren't balanced."

That post is located here.

At first I was relieved, my Dad was okay and wasn't upset about my one-star review. But then realization hit me and I crossed my arms. "Dad! Are you reading my blog? You know you aren't allowed to!"

"I only read that one post, I swear!"

I eyed him skeptically and I'm still a bit skeptical about it, but I decided that I have to stay true to myself as a writer regardless and still write blog posts uncensored.

But being a writer and dealing with your parents definitely complicates things.

5 comments:

T.J. said...

"I only read the one, I swear!" I laughed, E, I couldn't help it.

I do hope you don't censor yourself. Even if the parents do read it. Your mind is too wonderful to collar :)

SC Author said...

Haha, that's funny :) And d not censor yourself! (Hi EB's dad if you are reading this!)

SC Author said...

Do not**

Anonymous said...

Tag Cloud. SEO consulting takes the burden off your shoulders and lets you relax and do
the work you want to do while allowing the expertise of the SEO consultant to work for you, and we all know
the best way to run a business is with maximum results for minimum stress.
The tools include efficient internet marketing, proper usage
of keywords, flawless content and creating social media buttons.
This will not only help you find the best service provider but will
help you build an idea about the recent SEO market. Organic SEO uses valid
and safe techniques to rank your site for its keyword. Meta Name and Meta Description Tags are two
of the important ones. The tips are as follows:-.
When SEO services are working for you, you should always be
ready to capitalise on innovations and fresh marketing opportunities.
Isn't that something you and your business should be a part of. This helps auto dealership websites rank higher in the search engines results and get more traffic to the website. They want to know things about how to create effective copy, general marketing tips and maybe even stuff about social media. If your website deals with certain products or services, then conduct a proper research on these and then form your SEO content. ' Every page should be optimized with additional keywords.
You can find several internet marketing companies across the world.
This is where your innovative SEO marketing techniques can achieve
a high search ranking for your budget motel whenever a
user is specifically searching for a motel at your location.
SEO defined. 4) Managing your online business. Once someone
clicks on your site, they should see tons of unique informative content.
The website serves as a way for customers to find the business and
be able to see what services are offered.

Image Optimization is also a part of SEO services in Pune.


Feel free to surf to my website; please click the following article

Unknown said...

There are so many web, but only that I think your website helpful, thank you


Kumpulan Artikel Mengenai Kesehatan
Pengertian Dan Penyebab Diabetes Melitus Tipe 2
Cara Menghilangkan Plek Paru Paru
Makanan Yang Harus Di Jauhi Penderita Penyakit Jantung
Penyebab Gusi Bernanah